Friday, November 23, 2007

Choi Kee @ Kepong

Everything was a blur to me. A few minutes ago, I was still in dreamland, having an intimate moment with my maguro sashimi and I was about to devour it. Then, came the wake-up call! Talk about timing. It was a cloudy Saturday morning and I was brought to an old coffee shop in Kepong for breakfast.

Then, a whiff of cham (mixture of coffee and tea) immediately perked me up. Situated somewhere behind the old Selangor Omnibus Station, this place wouldn't have attracted anyone except the locals. You can see old folks chatting away, school childen having breakfast with their parents and working adults reading newspapers while sipping their coffee. I really enjoyed the atmosphere! A far cry from my usual mornings.

Choi Kee was the name of the only noodle stall (the only stall, in fact) in the coffee shop. My aunt told me that this was one of the better noodles stalls in the area and that we should give it a try.

Since we were having breakfast al fresco and the weather was cool, my folks decided to have the spicy curry noodles. For RM3.00, it was quite a steal as there was a generous amount of ingredients like char siew (sweet roasted pork), beansprouts, fried beancurd skin or fu chuk and the lovely cockles! The char siew was sweet and tender but there was nothing to shout about. As for the curry, the richness of the coconut milk and spiciness were well-controlled. Simple and hearty.

Next came my dry pork noodles (RM3). When it comes to the dry version, wanton noodles aside, I prefer the combination of bee hoon (rice vermicelli) and kuey teow (flat rice noodles). I guess I really like the contrasting taste between the blandness of these 2 types of noodles (with a hint of rice fragrance) and the sweet & savoury dark soya sauce. Choi Kee's version of pork noodles was simple. A bowl of noodles dressed in dark soya sauce with a dash of lard oil, garnished with scallion and fried onions. What made the dish so special was the addition of siu cheong (literally translated as roasted intestines) which was actually sausage filled with minced pork, marinated with a sweet sauce. Sweetness was well-controlled with a hint of smokiness to boost. The meat was tender and the tiny bits of lard added extra flavour and texture (not forgetting LDL). The sausage was definitely one of the best I have tasted in a long time as it was not bitter nor hard. The pork balls on the other hand, were not impressive as it tasted rather bland and soft.

The soup version (RM3) did not deviate too much from the dry type. Same ingredients were used. And again, the sausage outshone the rest.

A discovery worth waking up for but I would not recommend this place to those who are not residing in this area. I'm sure there are similar pork noodle stalls in your neighbourhood. But then again, I'm not too sure as the normal portion only cost RM3.00 here. All I can say is, lucky me!

Also, please note that I have paid for additional slices of sausage for both the dry and soup types (as shown in the pictures). The normal portion should have less slices. I'm a glutton.

Here's a map of the approximate whereabout. I can't be sure as this place is currently under rapid development (Metro Prima) and the map was not updated at streetdirectory at the time of post. Morning blurness didn't help much either. I'll try to get better bearings later.

8 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

man..RM3 is damn dirt cheap..amazed..but thats kepong and not kl though

Sugar Bean said...

RM3 is cheap for dry pork noodles! But I somehow prefer pork noodles with soup. :)

HairyBerry said...

joe - yeah, food in kl is just so freaking expensive. these days, it's comparable to singapore. or even more expensive at certain places!

wenching & esiong - yeah, the soup type is hearty...but i like the dry type for it's aroma and taste...hehe

jackson - can can can! kepong is not too far from klang...hehehe

Big Boys Oven said...

RM3 is cheap,PJ is about RM3.80 or RM4

HairyBerry said...

Big Boys Oven - yupe, i was surprised too! a good deal, i'll say...

ai wei said...

rm3 for the bowl of curry noodles topped with char siew is very cheap! it looks very milky too! i wanna try that. thanks for da info

ling239 said...

the liver sausage bitter ? o_O
caont be wor... where did u had that ?

HairyBerry said...

ai wei - no prob...glad to share! love the cockles!

ling239 - i have tasted some bitter ones before in some stalls in the market near my place. perhaps there was the overuse of the marinate sauce. but this one is definitely better :)

jackson - sure, no prob. but early dec can ar? because i'm having exam soon and will only be back in kl then. so sad...