Friday, September 4, 2009

Tell-A-Tale (Part 49): So Far So Food

Today marks the second year of my ten cents blog. This is usually the time when one recollects his or her blog-related experiences in the past 12 months. Yawns, I hear? I feel that blogging is very much like children. The older they get, the less adorable they are and the more you have things to say or complain about them. There are days when taking care of them feel like a chore. But deep down, you still love them. And as the years go by, you tend to understand them a little better. That’s when you’ll chill and just let nature takes it course, for better or worse. I find myself wanting to write more this year and because my Piscean thoughts work in a mostly arbitrary manner, I thought it would be good to generalize them into a few ideas.


1) Evolution

There’s no way in denying change. You just have to come to the terms and try appreciating the new discoveries and facts. As I blog, I understand that perhaps it’s not a food blog that I wanted. Ask a random person on the street and most probably, they’ll tell you that a food blogger is an online food critic/expert (scary isn’t it?), which I don’t think I’ll fit in. I’m more comfortable with just eating (which is easier to understand) and share my experience. It’s more fun this way. The food blogging scene, to me, has changed quite a bit since I’ve come to know of its existence. It has gained credible acceptance and popularity for its connection with netizens. The drawing factors are that food blogs are real, honest, educational, informative and collocates with simple words like delicious, yummy and nice that the yous and mes can relate to. With acceptance and trust come opportunities and interests in other aspects. It’s industrious and/or fun, in my opinion. But I have this to say; that with each action, it should subsist of integrity and good nature as to not mislead. And when I hear of my food blogging friends gaining recognitions through their honest talents and efforts, I am truly, truly happy for them.

2) Humble pie is delicious

This year, I was lucky enough to have met a few new friends who blew my mind with their knowledge in food. Just give them 10 minutes, a food topic and be mesmerized by their sharing of food thoughts. Not being masochistic but to be slammed by them for my inadequate and often, senseless food ideas is humbling. And there were my cooking and baking whimsicals. I like to deconstruct recipes, just to make a statement. Sounds good but the fact is, it’s crap. There was a time when my supposedly pecan/yoghurt cake turned into some sort of baked porridge. Once, my banana bread was so hard, I could have easily used it as a brick. Basics, my friends, are important. For a beginner like me, at least. So, I started all over again, with a basic butter cake. Over a few months of practice and equipped with some dependable recipes, I think I’ve started to understand the science and art of things. I’m still sticking to cakes and dishes I know best, and trying out some new, practical recipes once in a while. Hopefully this time next year, I’ll be able to present a better report card.

3) *Chik Chak*

Seriously, I think there were times when I would choose photography over blogging, as a hobby. Simply because results are almost instantaneous, with the same amount of creative work being put in. I update my photography archive more often than my blog! But then again, the ideal hobby should combine all the elements of one’s best interests, hence the blog. There are usually complaints that food turns cold as pictures are being taken. I am guilty of that. But hey, I’ll try to improve on my speed lah, ok? We’ll request for reheating if we have to. Joke.

4) Work hard, eat hard

Over the past year, I’ve heard of family and friends falling sick for the simple reason of negligence. And being a food fan, I guess I’m more susceptible to health issues like diabetes and heart diseases. Oh, eating disorder too. Inspired by my friends, I started running again. Don’t expect much because I’m slow. My aim is always to finish than to finish in time. The last few months saw me eating healthier on weekdays and indulging on weekends. So, the 4 stomachs rule only applies on weekends and special occasions. There’s no secret to good health, I guess. Just a wiser choice and sensible amount of food. It doesn’t mean that I don’t take lard anymore lah, kan? I’m still very much a babitarian. Just run more to burn off the excess lah.

5) Food, friends and foes

A relative once told me that a good person is one who enjoys food and music. I find that quite true. Through the interactions on this blog and beyond, I’ve made some really good friends. Friends who appreciate all kinds of food and are silly, cool, honest and fun. Our gatherings have been greatly misunderstood as a reason to get drunk. Really, it merely adds some sparks to our already crazy parties. And there were food crawls and makan sessions. I remember many times when the food was so good, we all smiled almost simultaneously. That’s cool. And real. I’m not skeptical but there are times when I find hosts on tv shows rather fake with their oishi or orgasmic expressions. Then again, it’s partially commercial and that’s how it works.


Wow, that’s quite a load of s*_^ that I’ve said. I wonder how long the third anniversary post will be like.

31 comments:

LianneK said...

Well said :-) blogging as as much responsibility as to having a child. I´ve enjoyed your blog and photography thorought the year hence and I believe many do to. Keep it up!

Sean said...

happy anniversary! here's to many many more years of keeping your passions alive. =)
i kinda share your sentiments/fear about health woes but not your sensibility/discipline. in the end, we have nobody to blame but ourselves for the consequences of negligence.

J said...

Well, happy birthday to your blog! :)
(Ooh, and many interesting POVs... Am looking forward to the next Blog Birthday Musings Essay)

qwazymonkey said...

Happy anniversary bro. It blogs like yours that brings lil crazy and fun munkeys like us together.

Cheers. To good food, good pichers, good health and good friends!

wmw said...

Happy Bloggerversary! You didn't mention Hokkien Mee? hahaha....

ai wei said...

happy anniversary and happy blogging!~

i do agree those from the tv show rather fake. only a few are accepatable ~

Rebecca Saw said...

How true.. all your musings! I;m sure it is the same tots shared by all fellow food bloggers ;)

gfad said...

Such sweet musings. The first time I met you, I couldn't help thinking what a nice boy you are. The more I see, the more I like. :)

As for your likening blogging to children, I'll ask you again when you finally have kids. :D

Selba said...

Happy 2nd blog anniversary, Nic!

"chik chak"? First I thought it's cicak as lizard! LOL

"a good person is one who enjoys food and music" - eh, I thought a good person is one who has a kind heart, helpful to others, respect elderly, not doing any criminal, can be trusted, etc. no? ;)

Shell (貝殼) said...

Happy birthday to "Black Tie, White Lie"
I Really love your photo..keep it up!

red fir said...

Happy blog anniversary! :)

~Christine~Leng said...

Happy Birthday to Black Tie, White Lie! Chris and I enjoyed reading your posts and of course your pictures! love your piece here!

rokh said...

i agree with you in many 'parts' as you put it. yes, blogging sometimes do seem like a chore, it nags at the back of your mind but deep down, you love it very much, regardless how old it is, it is still your 'baby'. ditto as well on friends of same interests, this is what i call the wonderful food blogosphere. sadly i also had to embark fiercely on the exercise part, all in the balance i guess. ;)oh and yeah, happy blog-anniversary!

ladyironchef said...

congrats nic, your blog is definitely not a ten cent blog! heh yeah eating is more comfortable than being a critic! nice sum-up of everything, many more years from you! :)

Jason said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!

Julia said...

Happy blog birthday, Nic! I totally know what you mean when you say that our blogs are like our babies. Yes, they are a chore, but we still love and can't let go of them.

I'm so glad to have met you this year. Yours is definitely not a ten cents blog. I think your photography and prose are priceless. Here's to another year of delicious eating and blogging! :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Oh happy day! :-D Congratulations on this milestone!

UnkaLeong said...

You know what they say, time flies when you are having fun. And it's been a riot since you have started huh? Hehehe..Keep up the good work bro!

Camemberu said...

Happy Bloggiversary and many more to come! Hey, two years of ten cents adds up to a very rich blog! :D

Blogs and kids? Man, you're so absolutely spot on!!! I'm surprised I didn't think of it that way before! But how true! Tiring but it's love!

Yes, write more, chik chak more! Come out and eat more! :D

HairyBerry said...

lianne, thanks so much for the encouraging words! :) have a good time in stockholm!

sean, thanks dude! i guess at one point, we hafta eat healthier. vegetarian food once a week for a start? :)

j, glad u like 'em POVs! yupe, i'm certainly looking forward to the next essay. and more food!

qwazymonkey, thanks so much, bro! so long din hv monkey meeting d! we'll do one when the queen comes back la!

wmw, thank you so much!! yeah, i forgot about the love of my life! haha! u miss hokkien mee in san fran or not? :)

ai wei, thanks so much for the wishes! glad u share my view on the tv shows. like u, i do like some of them also la. :)

thenomadgourmand, hi5! food unites, not divide. yayz!

gfad, omg, i'm a nice boy? awwww...so sweet of you. great catching up again last month! hope to see ya in AD! on children, omg, i have sooo much to learn. *scary*

selba, thanks so much!! haha, cicak. we have a movie here called cicakman as well. lol! u r right about a "good person"! i guess i'm lucky enough to have found foodie friends that are good people. it's such a blessing. :)

Shell (貝殼), thanks so much! i'll work hard! haha. you are very creative with your pictures too! i'm envious! :)

HairyBerry said...

ice, thanks so much for the wishes! here's to more food. good food!

christine and chris, thanks so much for the support! hope to meet up one day la. it's been too long already!!! :)

rokh, thanks so much! :) i guess it's good to work hard on something that we like rather than to work hard for nothing. u r right, it's a wonderful food blogosphere here. what's more when we are able to share good food, eh? :)

ladyironchef, thanks for the wishes, dude! glad u liked the post and hey, u cant miss the next outing, ya! see ya around. and congrats, mr. president! hehehe...

jason, thank you very much, dude!!! :)

julia, xie xie ni! :) the best part is, after a while, we then to be flexible with them, and treat them like adults. ok, a bit too cheem already..haha! glad to have met you too! here's to more makan sessions and fun!

lyrical lemongrass, thank you so much, dear! and for the sms as well. :) and can i just say a big congratulations on your 1kk (and counting) hits! :)

unkaleong, oh, a riot, a storm, a hurricane...all rolled into one..haha! i've met some really good friends and that's even cooler. see ya soon, bro!

camemberu, thank you thank you! haha, u have a point on the 2 years of ten cents. that's quite a motivation, i must say. :) and YESSSSSS, will definitely come out to eat more. i have 4 stomachs, remember? hahaha..see ya soon!

savante said...

Happy Anniversary! Food, glorious food!

HairyBerry said...

savante, thank you very much! yes, more glorious food to everyone!

Unknown said...

Very the happy birthday to your blog!

next time we eat, but you a belated birthday cake ok? ;-)

HairyBerry said...

keropokman, woah, that's very thoughtful of you! thank you very much! but no need la, i malu lah..hahaha! claypot rice, next on the list ya! :)

Ciki said...

if u say urnt good, sorry GREAT and photography AS WELL AS blogging.. then.. then.. i dunno WHAT!

So far so.. fanfuckintastically FANTASTIC.. more like!

happy anniversary hairy;)

Camemberu said...

YES BIRTHDAY CAKE! BIRTHDAY CAKE!!! :D

Hey Julia's blog birthday also coming up in Sept!

HairyBerry said...

cumi & ciki, awwwwww, thank you so much, dear! i still have so much to learn. :) hope you are having a good time in sg! and hope to meet up before you leave!

camemberu, ohhh, let's go celebrate julia's blogoversary! let's order a birthday cake from evan! i've always wanted to try her creations!

Unknown said...

oh yes, i wanna try evan's luscious cakes!

Babe_KL said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!

HairyBerry said...

keropokman, me too me too! haha!

babe_kl, thanks a lot! :)