Friday, December 31, 2010

Skinny Pizza

Two months ago, I'd decided on a new career path. This job may not be as cool as Anthony Bourdain's but it does appear to be more exciting than the previous one. To celebrate this occasion, we headed to Skinny Pizza after I officially contracted myself to this new institution. I should be happy, for I'd finally plucked enough courage to venture into the unknown after all these years. However, at the table, there was also this melancholic tinge that stemmed mostly from the thought of missing my old colleagues that had taught me so much, on both professional and personal levels. Perhaps I've still not lived long enough to understand that changes are inevitable but it does appear breezy for some.

For the reasonable price, I shouldn't be complaining about the truffle fries that seemed to be a little shitake-scented. It was the other side dish, the grilled prawns with cauliflower couscous, that had me all perked up. The combination of juicy prawns and couscous cooked with garlic, herbs, nuts and raisins was a delight. It came greasier than usual but that was easily overlooked by the smoky aroma of the prawns and combustion of flavours in the couscous mixture. Talk about smokiness, the stir-fried lobster linguine with crab meat, black pepper and a variety of roes was certainly full of it. Just another sprinkling of salt would have made it even tastier, I thought. Lastly, there was the signature squid ink pizza topped with calamari, prawns, tomato salsa, arugula and red onion rings. To me, it wasn't a pizza because the base was a crust, just. There wasn't even a slight chewy fill that defines a pizza base. In fact, I thought it was a pappadam more than anything else. But that's not to say that it was bad. As a dish in general, I enjoyed its novelty and the layer of creamy sweet sauce that reminded me of the mayonnaise used in those chicken floss buns.

It's intentional that I make this my final post for 2010 because this move to a new working environment is certainly the most significant (and hardest) decision that I'd made in recent years. And while I don't usually go all gooey and cheesy in retrospecting the last 365 days, I must say that 2010 has been exceptionally kind and generous. In the past year, I'd crossed 3 of the 10 countries that I'd planned to visit in this lifetime, experienced driving on the other side of the road, ran my first half marathon, discovered laundry detergent powder, finally gotten myself a law certificate after much struggle, reconnected with some old friends, had some of KL's most famous Hokkien Mee and, for the better, had a change of mindset that some people call maturity. I call it a miracle.

Folks, have a happy and healthy 2011!

Skinny Pizza
3 Temasek Boulevard
#01-002 Suntec City Galleria Singapore
Tel: (+65) 6333 9774

15 comments:

J said...

Ah. Singapore. Where even the pizzas are skinny! :P

(Good to read that you had a good 2010. Hopefully 2011 will be fantabulous for u! ...oh, and best of luck in your new job)

Babe_KL said...

J is so funny!!! But then again I would buy a skinny pizza if there have one here :p


Wishing you and your family a splendid year ahead with good tidings coming your way. Happy New Year!

Kenny Mah said...

Discovered laundry detergent powder? Haha, I love how even your year's achievements aren't simply stellar and awe-inducing - they can be amusing also. :D

And call it maturity or call it a miracle, here's to more wisdom and more magic in 2011!

Happy New Year, bro!

qwazymonkey said...

Chis! Brad refused to bring me here when I was out with him. LOL. My friend did ask me to check it out. Especially the nice feature lamps they have ere lah. Next time I guess.

Anyway, happy new year! And have a good one bro.

red fir said...

Good luck in your new endeavors and Happy New Year Nic!

Rarebeet said...

Happy new year HB! Heres to another fantastic year of gastronomic delights, wanderlust and happiness! x

Ciki said...

i hope this is not your last post (ever), because you write like a dream! Yea that's right.. I hope your new job doesn't keep u from blogging. that would be tragic.
Happy new year Hairy!

UnkaLeong said...

Looks like it's been a real busy year for you in 2010. Here's to more fun and adventure in 2011!

Unknown said...

all the best in your new job dude!

jason said...

All the best in your future endeavors, Berry! :)

HairyBerry said...

j, haha! ya know, initially, i wanted to ask the same question - what's with all this skinny madness? thanks so much for your wishes! hope your new year party was great! happy 2011! :)

babe_kl, i was actually inspired to make some skinny pizza too..with pappadum. hehe. i think it'll work! :) thanks so much for the wishes. wishing you a great year ahead too!

kenny, thanks for the wishes, bro! here's wishing you and the devil and the diva a fantastic 2011! ya know, i've been using liquid laundry detergent for the longest time. then, i did the math and found that the powder form is more economical and effective! i think it's a good achievement..hehe

qwazymonkey, happy new year to you too! i've always wanted to revisit skinny pizza, so if you are in town, jomz makan pizza kurus keding! i wanna try their other pastas too. :)

ice, thank you very much! here's wishing you a new year of great food and more importantly, great desserts! :)

HairyBerry said...

paprika, thanks so much for the wishes! wishing you and hunky and little m a year of good food and most importantly, good health. can't wait to meet the baby! :)

cumi and ciki, thank you very much! and a happy 2011 to you too! wishing you guys a very successful year ahead. keep eating, keep rocking! :) i'll still be blogging lah. :)

unkaleong, thanks so much! wishing you an exciting year ahead too! i'm sure you'll be looking forward to all the fun times with the new purchase! *envious* haha.

keropokman, thanks so much, dude! jumpa nanti kat the next sesi makan! i dah lapar lah. haha.

jason, thanks so much! here's wishing you a delicious and fun year ahead! :)

KopiKosongGirl said...

A friend told me about this place and my first response was - do you get skinny after eating the pizzas here? Well, obviously not!
Anyway, all the best in the new adventure, whether exciting or not :-)

AugustDiners said...

is skinny pizzas popular in singapore? because i remember seeing it in the menu when i was over at barracks cafe, dempsey

whereas in kl it's scarcely seen :)

HairyBerry said...

augustdiners, yes, i would say that it's pretty popular here in singapore. i was there on a weekday night and the place was pretty crowded. :) you're right. i've not seen this in kl yet. hope it'll come soon! :)