Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Restoran Sate Kajang Hj. Samuri

Hello batcha,

Welcome back to KL!
You look so different now! Perhaps staying in Burberryland has preppified you.
And that little accent.
Yenna, mike?
Well, who can blame you? It's been almost six years since you touched down at Heathrow to further your study while I traveled south to work in a factory.


You must be feeling jetlagged right now but we have no time to waste. We are hungry and in need of some real Malaysian food. Kudos to Toni and Wan for the great suggestion.

The dipping is nice, isn't it? A rich, dense and sweet peanut sauce, complete with tiny, nutty bits. And that spicy sambal topping to perk up the tastebuds. The hungry us keep on stirring and tasting the mixture. Just like how I think our conversation is going.

The sides; typical nasi impit and cucumber. Are you surprised that I actually take pictures of the food? Well, I'm a food blogger now. Don't be afraid. I am still me. Nothing has changed except an expanding waistline and larger eye bags. When I'm gone, the other two will surely bitch about it. The waitings, the interruptions, the comments. But they are still cool. We are still cool.

When was the last time you had satay? Heck, I should ask myself that question too. When was the last time Robbie Williams had a real great hit? The colours look good, don't you agree? Unlike those we had before. With a bowl of the sauce in hand, we are ready.

The Beef Satay is tender and juicy. A rather generous cut, I’d say. The sweetness of the marinate’s just right for me. Nicely spiced too. The slightly charred edges indicate that the grilling process is well-controlled. Dipping is optional at this point.

Have you noticed something different? The Chicken Satay consists of only lean meat. Do we ever get this kind of proportion anymore? Similar to the beef version, the meat is tender while the marinate is again, sweet. Syiok!

I’m heading south again in a few hours. We still have so much updating to be done. On your new projects, your life, your newfound interests. Well, your weekend friend will be back soon and hopefully, we’ll do that over dim sum at Jalan Ipoh. Just like those days, after grooving to those Ghetto beats. Or Bronx? Like I know the difference, haha!

Great seeing you again!

Yours truly…

----------------------

But we couldn't make it for the dim sum.
And yesterday’s Oscar reminded me of you again lar, batcha.
Wishing you success in your career!


Restoran Sate Kajang Hj. Samuri
Lot 1,2,3, Tingkat Bawah & Tingkat 2
Bangunan Dato' Nazir, Jalan Kelab
43000 Kajang, Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel: (+603) 8737 1853

28 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

this is a super super ood piece of meat in a stick! so juicy, so mouthwatering, so fresh, so sweet, so meaty and yet so simple to eat!

Pakcik Nic, we go again next time, but this time we got the one in uptown one!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is a super super good piece of meat in a stick! so juicy, so mouthwatering, so fresh, so sweet, so meaty and yet so simple to eat!

Pakcik Nic, we go again next time, but this time we got the one in uptown one!

Anonymous said...

"When was the last time Robbie Williams had a real great hit?"

That was so random as I was drooling over ur satay pics, that I nearly snorted my Neslo Ais out of my nostrils.

Note to self: Don't drink your favourite beverage while reading The Poet's blog. Hazardous to my hidung besau. :P

JOjo said...

I'm asking myself too, "when was my last satay?"

Sweet and juicy.
Send me drooling.
Books are piling.
Datelines are nearing.
Supper outing.
Is so comforting.

No wonder, my waistline seems EXPANDING!!!

Precious Pea said...

Been there twice...not bad but no need travel far to Kajang, they have a few branches now..hehe.

wmw said...

Eh, Satay Power!!! Hehehe...Pakcik Nic Meets Hj Samuri, that should have been your title post. Ok, ok....no more calling you Pakcik till you pull some "new" stunts! LOL!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Ode to Batcha

Batcha O Batcha
I remember you macha
I always buy the suratkhabar
When I stay in Kolej Pertama

You always in your sarong
Your kedai near the warong
Where I used to eat da terong
Which they used to beli borong

Batcha, looks like you've gone
To the land of cream and scone
Your newsstall you've foregone
And you've changed your name to John?

Batcha, we'll meet again
When you say farewell to Big Ben
Wtf you like frenchmen??
Omg I'm ending this komen.

ling239 said...

the one located along KESAS R&R area also not too bad.... ^_^

Hazza said...

I have not often had beef satay that is tender, this looked wonderful! Personally, I also like chicken satay not too lean as the crispy fat bits are nice too.

ai wei said...

satay!!! my true companion at night as supper!

backStreetGluttons said...

many years ago my classmate was a "satayman" for the school concert , today he's an aspiring state assemblyman for a Perak seat !
Syabas to da sataymen !
great to know now there are at least 3 foodie-poetik-funky funster-entertainers out there( white lies, LL & KM ) in KL/Spore cyberspace instead of that boring RW of UK

Anonymous said...

The satay in Penang here only serve with cucumber and onion, no nasi impit.

HairyBerry said...

big boys oven: yes, yes! Definitely good satay . Pakcik Nic says: sure, sure! Let’s go for satay at uptown! So many bloggers’ talking about it!

kenny: gosh, hope you’re alright. Haha..well, I realized that chap hasn’t got any new good materials since forever when I looked at his songlist at Red Box..hehe…

jojo:
Waistline expanding?
Don’t go around worrying
Dateline nearing?
Relax, have a Burger King!

Best of luck in your studies! Final semester?

precious pea: great! Been hearing praises for the uptown branch. Perhaps we should have a satay fiesta there, as suggested by BBO.

wmw: Ya, I should have thought about that..haha! Or how about “Pak Cik Nic And His Satay Stick”…rhyme somemore! No new stunts til Edison contacts the Pak Cik lar..hehe…

lyrical lemongrass:

Re:Ode to Batcha

My machas I remember
Plenty a good dancer
Many a good footballer
Wonder if they are on Friendster?

Those days I miss
When we were kids
A fierce English teacher
And our noble Math Sir.

Some batchas are married
Others are quite hurried
The mamak corner looks empty
Cos everyone’s just so busy

But my two mikes
Who filled my car
with oil from bikes
Best pals by far.

ling239: you mean there’s a hj. Samuri branch along kesas R&R ar? Or is it another good satay stall? Aiyoh, suddenly wanna makan satay lar!

hazza: Yes, I was glad too. Usually, the meat is so hard, it’s almost beef jerky-like. Love the texture. Yupe, the fat bits are nice, right? But sometimes, I come across some that have more fats than meat…scary.

ai wei: wah, remember to drink lots of water leh..cos this thing is pretty heaty. Aiyoh, now I really talk like a pak cik..sianz…haha!

team bsg: that’s very interesting! Will be checking out the pics of the perak seat candidates..no connection to the other state satayman?? hehe…well, we wouldn’t compare ourselves to RW, but the rhyming and poking parts are definitely more interesting than his latest album. Well, to us at least..hehe…

mylittlecottage: oh, yeah! onions! thanks for mentioning that. a wonderful side full of flavour/texture/nutrition!

Sugar Bean said...

I miss eatings sate in Kajang so much. My mum used to bring me there when I was young, but my father didn't allow it coz he said it was unhealthy. Haha! Anyway, nice photos, made me craved for sate really badly!

sc said...

sadly, its branches QC dropped tremendously..the last i had in the damansara uptown branch, some chicken parts were raw! *shudders*

~Christine~Leng said...

I can't help it..but can I say this?
"Pakcik Nic.. can you bring us there?" haha...

the next time you drop by here again, remember to ask Chris and I along ya pakcik, cos Chris stay nearby only ;P *grin*
okla.. enough enough ;P

Alexander said...

Woo... Satay. The sauce looks great!
I can do with more of that! :P

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

HairyBerry said...

wenching & esiong: Haha! Actually, it is unhealthy. But there’s protein in meat. So, I guess that’s a consolation. My parents barred me from lok lok. Haha!

Sc: Yeah, that’s common I guess. Branches usually do not live up to original one. Ok, there are exceptions lar..hehe…gosh! Raw chicken parts?? That’s really scary.

Christine: Oh, Chris stays nearby ar? Cool…next time pak cik bring you all youngsters there ar? But pakcik driving very slow..hehe…

Alexander: Oh, yes, definitely. They actually serve a wide range of meats including mutton and rabbit. And the sauce’s really nice.

fatboybakes said...

satay, like hokkien mee, MUST have some fat ler (albeit from different species of animal), otherwise where got nice. like eating cardboardkebab. my inlaws are from kajang, so the hallowed meat on a skewer holds precious little appeal for me these days.

Jason said...

You post never failed to amuse me lar pakcik :P
The last time I tried the satay, they were cold and a bit hard to chew too.... hmph.

Btw...
Happy Birthday!

Xiu Long Bao said...

Pakcik nic @ edison chen, you have yet to discover the nicest satay in kajang town. Buy me matcha ice then i'll let u know.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah burberry land..la la la la...did u knw a damn rain coat from here costs 600 quid?

back to satay..haha i stay away..cause i eat in dozens..

fatboybakes said...

oh, i've been meaning to link you, but keep forgetting. linked oridi hor.

HairyBerry said...

fatboybakes: that's true...but what surprised me was the generous portion of meat and 0% fat...ok, maybe the price justified that lar...haha...

and thanks for the link, dude! *90 deg bow*. it's such an honour!

jason: hope you enjoyed reading it as much as i wrote it lar...hehe...is it? looks like the standard's not very consistent leh, hor?

thanks for your wishes! :)

xiu long bao: eh, i thought i already bought you matcha?? so, you better draw me a map already. and you're paying, right? hehe...

joe: is it? i thought it comes with a 4-digit price tag?..i think sg cheaper lar...

hehe..welcome to the club!

ling239 said...

that one really same as Kajang one mar... me no lying leh :p

HairyBerry said...

ling239: i see, i see...ok, i understand already... ;>

choi yen said...

satay with lean meat? will it taste dry?

HairyBerry said...

mimi: yeah, that's the surprising part...the meat was tender...nice! :)